Wednesday, January 27, 2016

1 dead as militia leader Ammon Bundy, 6 others arrested in Oregon

Last Updated Jan 26, 2016 11:49 PM EST

BURNS, Ore. -- One person was killed and another wounded as federal and state authorities arrested the leader of an armed group that has occupied a national wildlife refuge in Oregon for more than three weeks and five of his followers, the FBI said late Tuesday.

The FBI said authorities arrested Ammon Bundy, 40, his brother Ryan Bundy, 43, Brian Cavalier, 44, Shawna Cox, 59, and Ryan Payne, 32, during a traffic stop Tuesday afternoon on U.S. Highway 395.
Authorities said another person, Joseph Donald O'Shaughnessy, 45, was arrested by Oregon State Police in Burns. Later Tuesday evening, the FBI arrested Peter Santilli, 50, in Burns.

Shots were fired during the arrest and one person was killed. The person's identity was not released, pending notification of his next of kin. The FBI said he was the "subject of a federal probable cause arrest."

Another person suffered non-life threatening injuries and was transported to a local hospital for treatment, the FBI said. He was arrested and is currently in custody.

Each person arrested faces a federal felony charge of conspiracy to impede U.S. officers from discharging their official duties through the use of force, intimidation, or threats, the FBI said.
The group began occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in eastern Oregon on Jan. 2 to protest federal land use policies. Bundy is the son of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy, who was involved in an armed standoff with the government over grazing rights in 2014.

Highway 395 at the intersection of U.S. 20 north of Burns -- not far from the wildlife refuge -- was closed in both directions Tuesday night, CBS affiliate KOIN reported.

Bundy and his followers were reportedly heading to a community meeting at the senior center in John Day, a Grant County town about 70 miles north of Burns, to address local residents to discuss their views on federal management of public lands.

Law enforcement officers converged on the wildlife refuge after the arrests and were expected to remain at the site throughout the night; it was unclear how many people, if any, remained in the buildings.

"We continue to work with Harney County Sheriff Dave Ward and his deputies; Oregon State Police; and the United Stat