Several people were reported dead and dozens of others injured after a truck plowed into a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in Nice, France. Loud bangs feared to be gunshots followed.
- 15 July 201600:28 GMTNice Mayor Estrosi has announced that the number of killed in the attack now stands at 77 people.
- 00:23 GMTWitness Oymou Diallo, who was on the promenade at the time of the attack, told RT how the panic unraveled. She didn’t hear the sound of explosion or gunfire, as she was too scared for her life to pay attention to what was going on around her.
“We were just at the promenade looking for the fireworks for the 14th of July and then people just began to run, we don’t know why. So we began to run too and people said it may it’s a bomb or maybe it is terrorism, so we were just afraid and began to run too.”
READ MORE: Panic & chaos in Nice: Terrifying videos show immediate aftermath of truck attack (GRAPHIC)
- 00:16 GMTLe Figaro newspaper reports that 76 people have been killed in the attack, according to the latest estimates.
- 00:09 GMTFrance’s anti-terror committee has taken over the police operation in Nice, local media reports.
- 00:04 GMTPresident Obama has issued a statement on "a horrific terrorist attack in Nice."